Thursday, December 22, 2011

Excuse Me But Can You Tell Me Where I'm Going?

I received what I thought was a thought provoking email from a friend this morning.  What it actually turned out to be was something quite different.  Here it is:


 "I found this anonymous article deeply moving-- I hope you do, too."
 Bagpiper at a Funeral

 As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. 
 Recently I was asked by a Funeral director to play at a
graveside service for a homeless Man. 
 He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a
Pauper's' cemetery in the back country.
 As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being
a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.
 I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had
evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. 
 There were only the Diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.
 I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. 
 I went to the Side of the grave and looked down and the vault
lid was already in place. 
 I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.
 The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. 
 I played my heart and soul out for this man with no family and
friends. 
 I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.
 And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. 
 They wept I wept, we all wept together. 
 When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. 
 Though my head hung low, my heart was full.
 As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, 
 "I Never seen nothin' like that before 
 and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."
 Apparently I'm still lost....it's a man thing.

So as you can see, it's a bit of a joke.  But for me it was also thought provoking.  The last line stating that the man is still lost and it's a man thing.  Being lost is not just a man thing.  It's also a mother thing, parental thing, human being thing.  For me it's a mother thing.  The last few entries here have shown you that I feel lost... A LOT.

I'm lost on most of my children's behaviours, some of the things they do and say to eachother simply baffle me and leave me feeling lost.  How to cope and help them learn is a feeling of helplessness and being lost like no other.  The key to all of this though is to ask for help.  Stop and ask for directions.  Even if the person or people you're asking don't know the exact route to help you get where you want to go, you asked.  You might still be lost, but at least maybe set on the right path.

Hope this made some sense to you.

Have a great night and God Bless You.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment