Saturday, November 27, 2010

Today was a Good Day...

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to tell you about today.  It wasn't that interesting of a day.  Which in and of itself is really a good thing!

I'm still under the weather, and I was disappointed not to be able to take the kids and go to our community's Adoption Awareness Event at the gymnastics academy, but we had an uneventful day.  Why should that make me happy?  Well....there were no melt downs, no crashes, no major crying jags, and no temper tantrums. 

There was joyful playing, baking of cookies (which is something I haven't done in about 13 years! I'm the world's worst baker) with the oldest boy, enjoying of warm chocolate chunk cookies and milk by the youngest boy.  The oldest who helped make them decided he didn't like them because the chocolate was square not chip form.  OCD is such a joy!  NOT!  The same chocolate chip cookies but the chocolate is a different shape and therefore they are not good. Hmph!  So he had milk.  That annoyed me.  Why make cookies that the boy won't eat because the chocolate is the wrong shape?  Oh well we'll make the right ones another day.

The youngest had a good day.  He was happy all day and was super excited that his Nana was here for the better part of the day.  She's his favorite person in the whole world...next to daddy.  I come in a close 4th I think.  Right after his big brother.

So right before we made the cookies, I asked Nana to run to the supermarket for me for a couple of key ingredients for my slow cooker chili that I had decided to make at 12:30 this afternoon.  Son #1 went with her.  When they got back I asked him if he'd like to help me make the chili.  He said OK.  I said great!  Can you chop the onions for me?  NO! Was the reply.  I asked him why not?  He said I don't want to cry.  I laughed and told him that that was the reason I asked him to do it for me.  He wasn't amused.  So I cut up the onions and tossed them in the crock pot, along with the ground beef, pork cubes, diced canned tomatoes, 2 cans of kidney beans (liquid and all), 2 cans of tomato paste, chili powder, chili flakes, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sea salt and about 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.  I usually put in cayenne pepper too, but I forgot. I also put in a large can of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce Rich and Spicy.  I don't know why I did that today.  I usually use 2 cans of condensed tomato soup.  I had that, but for some reason grabbed the spaghetti sauce instead.  Oh well it turned out good and tomorrow I'll add spaghetti noodles to it and bake it with cheese in the oven and we'll have a high fibre, high protein pasta.

When I make chili I like to use fresh tomatoes rather than canned but I didn't have any.  I rather like cooking with all fresh ingredients but it's now the time of year I turn to a lot of canned and frozen things in order to make my staples.  Funny thing about this particular batch of chili, son #1 ate it and apparently liked it!  First time too.  Maybe it was because I didn't put cheese and sour cream in his.  Hmmm.  I put sour cream in almost all my tomato based dishes and it's just wonderful.  Son #2 LOVED the chili tonight but I suspect it was because of the spaghetti sauce type taste.  The kid is a spaghetti fiend. LOL

After dinner, boys both got ready for bed and went off to dreamland a little early.  Now it's time for the grown ups to enjoy some time alone together.  So what are we doing?  Well hubby is on the computer and I'm about to watch Most Haunted.  I'm a ghost story lover.

Today has been a good day.  Even this illness didn't bring me down.  Have a great night and we'll chat again soon. :)

1 comment:

  1. We missed the gymnastics too - because I've been sick. So sad to miss it!

    ReplyDelete