Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A New Discovery...for me

Welcome to Tuesday!  It's been a day.  A weird kind of day.  A day I haven't figured out yet what really happened.

It started out like any other Tuesday.  We got up, hubby got ready for work, I did my computer morning routine, and then the kids get up.

Son #1 gets his breakfast, son #2 gets his, and then son #1 starts his school work.  Well it was a Tuesday morning like any other Tuesday morning.  Hubby left for work and that's when things went sideways, or maybe pear shaped.  I'm not sure.

So the kids and I are usually attended by my Mum on weekdays so that son #2 is occupied while I tend to son #1 for his homeschooling.  Well with our snow fall yesterday Nana isn't able to get to us and I can't go get her because hubby's transmission in his truck decided it doesn't like working in the extremely cold weather we're having...so hubby had to take my van to work.  That leaves me with 2 boys both excessively excited about everything these days and no Nana to help distract the youngest so I can distract the oldest.  That means that every 2 minutes the oldest is leaving his desk to come and play with the youngest and tease him about going outside to play in the snow.  Now normally that wouldn't be an issue.  We'd postpone schooling until after dinner and just go play, but I'm sick.  I have a nasty head cold - again, and an ear infection.  Being outside in the -10 (yes I realize that's warm for our northern region and really warm compared to our prairie provinces) degree weather just isn't my idea of fun or promoting my quick return to good health.  So I had to say no.  100 times today I had to say no.  That makes the youngest very upset and he doesn't just cry he screams.  At the top of his lungs screams - to the point I'm sure the neighbours are going to call the police and suggest that someone in this house is trying to kill someone else!  And my boy can scream for hours on end.  I don't do well with the screaming.  But I don't give in either.  I don't believe in giving in to temper tantrums.  Some of you may think that's harsh, but I firmly believe that if you give in to one tantrum they will never end.  They will use them anywhere, anytime for anything they want.  Every time they are told no or not now, they'll throw a tantrum.

So, I'm the meanest Mum on the planet.  Just ask my 7 year old.  100 times no we can't go outside, 25 times please go back to your desk and let's get this work finished.  The term is almost over and then we can relax for a bit.  These are concepts that my 7 year old FASD, ODD, OCD, ADHD son can not grasp.  He tries and succeeds for about 3 minutes and then it's gone.  But we keep trying.

In amongst my very weird day, where my 7 year old wouldn't work and my 2 year old wouldn't nap, eat, sit, play, or do just about anything I wanted him to at any given moment, I thought about what our next children would bring to the mix.

My new discovery?  I don't care what they bring!  Bring it on - whatever 'it' is I can handle it.  I am ready to embrace 'it'!  Because as they say "A change is as good as a rest!" LOL

On a completely different note all together, I was reading another adoptive mum's blog and she posted a Johnny Reid video that I hadn't heard before.  It's called Today I'm going to try to change the world.  What a beautiful and powerful message.  It would make a perfect adoption anthem.  If you haven't heard this song or seen the video, check it out on YouTube.  I'd post it here (and borrow it from Carrie) but I haven't figured out how to do that yet! :)

I'm so looking forward to what tomorrow is going to bring, but for now I'm going to sit back with my ginger lemon tea and enjoy Glee!

2 comments:

  1. I thought the same exact thing when I saw the video on YouTube! And about how much just simple kindness can change the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to Johnny Reid's song once a day - a great and inspiring start! :) In fact, I would encourage buying his new CD because the WHOLE CD is full of wonderful songs! It's called "A place called Love" AND the 12th song I believe named, "A place called Love" is just beautiful! I've used it on all my homemade family picture CD's this year! So BUY his CD! lol

    ReplyDelete