Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day is Coming Up...

So Sunday May 8th is Mother's Day.  This (as in Mother's Day) is a day I looked forward to my whole life.
From the time I was 16 years old I was told that I would never be able to have children.  It broke my heart.  All I ever dreamed of being was a house wife and mother.

When I was 12 years old I met my best friend and found out she was adopted and I decided there and then that whether I had biological children or not I would be adopting.  So while finding out that having birth children wasn't going to be an option, I consoled myself knowing that one day I WOULD be a Mum!

Here we are in 2011.  I am the mother of 2 of the most beautiful boys in the world.  They are biological brothers, and born of mine and my husband's hearts.  Biological to us they are not, but you can't tell.  To see us together is to see a family.  No one questions us (based on appearance) whether or not we're foster parents, or caregivers.  They just see a family.  In the emergency room however, we get asked if we're foster parents because of our boys diagnoses of FASD, and NAS.  We quietly explain that we are their parents.  Adoptive not temporary.

So Mother's Day is upon us once again and I can't wait.  My family keeps asking me what I would like for my day.  I want my next children.  But...that's not going to happen this year.  So what I really want is a day with my family that I can share without upset, drama or fights.  I want a day to make beautiful memories together and then in the evening have dinner together with my Mum and her fiancée, and my new stepbrother and his beautiful lady who unfortunately can't be with her children and grand-babies.  So my Mother's Day is going to be spent making beautiful memories with my family and helping to ease the pain of another Mum who can't be with her babies.  Who could ask for more?

I suppose if my beautiful family wanted to get me something material, a trip to my favorite store down at our local Quay might be nice.  I could pick out a shiny new ring or necklace....

Happy Mother's Day to all those Mum's out there and pre-adoptive Mum's to be!!!

2 comments: