Sunday, January 30, 2011

Still Alive....Sort of....

Hello All!  I know it's been a while since I've written and now I'll tell you why.

In case you were wondering, yes, I'm still alive!  At least in the physical sense.  I've been ill.  Now being ill is horrible all by itself.  But when you're a mum it's even worse.  When you're a mum to 2 special needs children (and with each child after that it gets considerably worse I have to imagine) it's even worse than that!  When you're single and sick you can wallow in the self pity and take care of yourself or whine enough to have someone else come take care of you, but when you're a mum you're just not allowed to be sick!

I'm a very lucky mum though.  I have a wonderful mother who still thinks of me as her little girl and comes to care for my kids while I sleep or rest.  I have a fantastic husband who looks after the kids so I can rest and get better.  Together this team makes it easy for me to do what I need to do to get back to the business of mothering.  With them here I can rest and push the fluids (peppermint tea is my fluid of choice) and cough and hack until the cows come home.  I can hide in my bedroom, if I want to, and know that my kids are safe and well cared for. 

But what do I do when my whole family goes down within 24 hours of me going down?  Well...we muddle through.  We've had offers of friends to come help, to bring groceries, to bring medicine but we've gratefully declined.  We couldn't let anyone else catch what we've got.
Friday night I had my sick hubby take me to the emergency room with what I thought was a really bad flu (I even had the flu shot) and the beginning of an ear infection.  Turns out it was a bad chest infection and an ear infection.  Antibiotics for me. 

So today is day 2 on the meds and I'm feeling...about the same.  A little more clear headed as I stay away from the Tylenol 3's for the pain and just suck it up.  But my hubby and my kids are down big time with fevers and chills, coughs and nausea.  Time to step up the Mummy role.
No time to be sick when the family needs you.  Thank heaven it seems my Mum is going to get away unscathed!  I even kept her away today.

So as my time as a Mum marches on I'm learning more and more each day that this is the life I chose when I was 5 years old.  I know for certain that I chose wisely.  I remember my Nanny (grandmother) asking me when I was 5 what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I told her I wanted to be a Mummy and a nurse.  I wasn't wrong.  When you're a Mummy you also have to be a nurse, and a doctor, and a chef, and a maid etc. etc.

Yes, I chose well.  I love my life, I could live without the illnesses or at the very least without my family getting ill, I'll take it all just to keep those beautiful faces I love so much, just smiling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment