Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Christmas Spirit...

I'm slowly getting into the Christmas spirit.  Yesterday was Monday so you know I had a good day.  Today wasn't as good, but still not horrible.

Last night my oldest son and my husband decorated our tree.  I don't help much, because I've never been all that excited about decorating a tree.  I like the finished product, but I don't want to do it.  Sad isn't it?  I'm much happier supervising and encouraging my 7 year old in his choice of placement of ornaments, and answering his questions about where they came from or how old each ornament is.  I have a couple that are as old as I am and while they are very plain, they are beautiful in their simplicity.  They're precious to me as I remember childhood Christmases with my parents.  After our oldest went to bed I sent my hubby on a trip to Wal Mart for some large ornamental balls to hang from our ceiling.  It was his idea and I'm all about the instant gratification.  He described them and I wanted them NOW! LOL  So off he went, and now my ceiling looks festive and beautiful.

Today brought me some extra spirit as a young man I know delivered 2 very beautiful Christmas candles with his Mum to me.  This young man is 10 years old and is dedicated to helping others.  This season alone he has helped the African Children's Choir and now he has also raised an additional $250 to stock a medical clinic in a foreign far away land.  I asked his Mum today what her secret to raising such amazing children is and her answer was simple, "If there's one thing I do "well" as a parent (probably the only thing!) is I allow them to develop their own sense of being. I believe God has created everyone for a purpose. As a parent, I don't know that purpose and I don't try to coerce my children into a particular mold. I encourage them to become whomever God has designed them to be."
What a wonderful way to raise a child!  I share the same belief and so far it seems that my children aren't cut from quite the same cloth as hers. :)  My children are wonderful and my oldest attends church every Sunday but the lesson's aren't quite hitting home yet.  But they will.  I see glimpses of the lessons on occasion.  Thank the Good Lord above that we're all judged on our knowledge and understanding.

So seeing that young man today brought a huge smile to my face and heart and then when I actually got to look at my candles I was over joyed!  You can't buy this quality.  The scent of cinnamon is filling my house and it's starting to look and smell like Christmas.

If you'd like to read more about Caleb look on my blog list and you can go to his blog.  I'm sure he'll be guided to a new charity in the new year.  I'll be first in line to buy his candles.  By the way, this child keeps nothing for himself.  Every penny he raises through recycling goes to buy the materials for the candles and every penny of the sales of the candles goes to his chosen cause.

I'm definitely starting to look forward to Christmas.  This year we'll have an addition to our dinner table as well.  My friend that I hadn't seen in almost 20 years has accepted our invitation to join us for the day.  She's alone here in town and she's always been a part of our family anyway.  I'm very excited to have the friend that I refer to as my cousin be with me and my family for the celebration of Jesus' birth.

I hope you all have caught the Christmas spirit and are looking forward to the holidays. 

Merry Christmas!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Aww...thanks Kelly, for your kind words and for all the ways you helped Caleb with his project this year!

    ReplyDelete