Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Time to Catch Up...

So it's been close to a month since I've written, for that I apologize.
There's been a lot going on most of which I won't/can't share.  I've had some health concerns to deal with; my own and one of my children.

My child's was more behavioural than anything else.  We've all been there with children, biological and adopted. The terrible two's.  Mine is somewhat worse I think.  My son has a will to beat the band.  I thought I was strong willed, but my son is beyond my stubbornness.  When he says NO, he means it.  Doesn't matter what you bribe him with or try to redirect him with, makes no difference.

Right now our big struggle with him is getting him to come inside from playing outside.  The only way we could get him in today was to tell him Poppa was here....with coffee!  That worked...once.  Not twice.  He realized as soon as I locked the back door that I lied.  Poppa didn't come out today with coffee.  Did I feel bad?  You bet I did.  I hate having to lie to my child to get him to acquiesce.  If it wasn't getting dark and it wasn't his dinner and bedtime, I wouldn't have stooped so low, but I can't leave him outside all night for the deer and bear and cougar to discover.

The other big struggle is stopping his temper tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants.  After about an hour of full on screaming, I think most mums would give in.  But I don't.  My Mum wishes I would but she respects that my philosophy is to ignore it and eventually it will stop.  The tantrums are getting shorter.  They've gone from an hour and half down to an hour and today's was only 30 minutes!  We're talking full lung screaming non stop.  It's hard on the ears and if you're sensitive to loud noise it can make you feel physically ill.  But I have the ability to tune it out completely.
I'm trying to teach my older son how and my Mum and my husband.  They're learning, but they're not quite there yet.

So, there's been that to deal with it.  It's a daily occurrence.  The other thing we're dealing with is my diabetes.  I've managed to lose a substantial amount of weight and it's throwing my system out of whack.  My mineral levels dropped to my boots and my blood sugars went so low I was passing out.  We're getting that all straightened around now and I'm on the road to recovery.  I've been taken off all my insulin and am now on just 2 diabetes pills a day and one shot that takes the place of insulin and prevents a person from having low  blood sugars.  So that is getting better and I'm feeling better all the time.

So that's what has been happening for the last few weeks and it's kept me from writing.

But hopefully I'm back now.  This weekend my youngest turns 3 years old and I am so looking forward to his party!  It's going to be a blast!
Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment