Monday, February 6, 2012

It's Monday, Monday, Monday...

My favorite day of the week!  Sorry I've been away from here for a month, I've been busy.

I've been doing a couple of online courses.  One to help us further our adoption plans and one to help me remember how to be an effective support group facilitator and one to one parent volunteer.

The first course is all about caring for first nations children and how to incorporate their history.  Whew!  I thought I knew about our Aboriginal's history.  Boy was I mistaken!  In order for my husband and I to even consider adopting Aboriginal children we had a lot to learn.  I'd like to say that now that I'm finished the course (most aren't finished but I got a lot of help in keeping my little one occupied while I worked) I know everything our Aboriginal people went through for generations, but no, I can't and as weird as this sounds, I'm thankful.  I never want to stop learning.  I believe that a day without learning is a wasted day.

So, I've completed this course and learned so much.  I cried, I giggled, I cried and we bought stock in Kleenex.  What an emotional experience.  Did you know that the last residential school closed in 1996?! This course also taught me that Christopher Columbus wasn't just a discovery hero.  He took as many of the aboriginals that he could and sold them into slavery!  Back in 1492!  So all of the atrocities that happened didn't just start with the Euro-Caucasians in the 1700's.  If you're considering adoption, ask your adoption social worker to get you into this course.  You'll be amazed at what you learn.

The other course I'm taking is just 2 nights.  It's just a refresher on how to be effective running a support group for pre and post adoptive families.  Most of us are also one to one parent peer support.  It's wonderful being able to talk to others in my position throughout the province.  We can finally have others that understand what we do and what we go through.  It's been fun and exciting and so filled with information and ideas I hadn't considered.  Thank you to our facilitator for this course.

Then there's my family.  My wonderful, beautiful family.  Things have been truly wonderful for the last month.  My oldest is getting some of his issues under control, my little one has started showing interest in learning how to count, how to read, dancing and singing his favorite shows theme songs, it's been wonderful!

Then we have today.  IT'S MONDAY!  My favorite day of the week.  The fog is lifting which means it's going to be beautiful and sunny!

Have a great day all, and God Bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment